Can I move back and forth between the United States and Canada when waiting for my Canadian spousal sponsorship application?

Yes, you can move back and forth between the United States and Canada while waiting for your Canadian spousal sponsorship application to be processed, but there are some things to consider.

If you are a Canadian citizen or permanent resident and you have applied to sponsor your spouse for permanent residency in Canada, your spouse may be eligible for a visitor visa or an electronic travel authorization (eTA) to travel to Canada during the processing of the application. However, they may be required to provide evidence to the border officer that they plan to return to their home country before their authorized stay in Canada expires.

If you and your spouse plan to travel between the United States and Canada while the spousal sponsorship application is being processed, you should ensure that your spouse has the necessary travel documents and that they comply with the immigration rules of both countries. You may also want to consult with an immigration lawyer to discuss any potential risks or issues that may arise during travel.

It’s important to note that the processing times for spousal sponsorship applications can vary and may take several months or even years to complete. During this time, your spouse may be subject to different immigration requirements and restrictions, depending on their status and the country they are traveling to or from. If you have any questions, you may contact our team at or 1-877-892-7778.

For inquiries or further assistance, please contact us using the information below.

Talk to us now at

Book a consultation fast and easy