Can I visit Canada from the USA if I have a DUI?

It is possible to visit Canada from the USA if you have a DUI (Driving Under the Influence) conviction, but it may depend on the specifics of your case.

In general, a person with a DUI conviction may be considered inadmissible to Canada under the country’s immigration laws. However, there are some circumstances where individuals with a DUI conviction may still be allowed entry into Canada, such as if they are able to obtain a Temporary Resident Permit (TRP) or if they are deemed rehabilitated.

A TRP is a document that allows a person who is otherwise inadmissible to Canada to enter the country for a specific period of time. To obtain a TRP, the person must demonstrate that their visit is justified and that they do not pose a risk to Canadian society. The process for obtaining a TRP can be complex and may require the assistance of a Canadian immigration lawyer.

Alternatively, a person may be considered rehabilitated if they meet certain criteria, such as if their conviction was over 10 years ago, they have only one DUI conviction, and they have completed all requirements related to their conviction. However, it is important to note that the decision to deem a person rehabilitated is made by a Canadian border services officer at the time of entry, and there is no guarantee that a person will be deemed rehabilitated.

If you have a DUI conviction and are planning to visit Canada, it is recommended that you consult with a Canadian immigration lawyer to understand your options and any potential risks or challenges. Feel free to contact our team of Canadian immigration lawyers at or 1-877-892-7778 for a hassle free consultation.

For inquiries or further assistance, please contact us using the information below.

Talk to us now at

Book a consultation fast and easy