Construction liens are a powerful tool available to contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers in Ontario to secure payment for their work and materials on a construction project. If you have not been paid for your work on a construction project in Mississauga, it is essential to work with a construction lien lawyer to protect your rights and secure the payment you are owed. In this blog, we will discuss what a construction lien is, how it works, and the benefits of working with a construction lien lawyer in Mississauga.
What is a Construction Lien?
A construction lien is a legal claim placed on a property by a contractor, subcontractor, or supplier who has not been paid for their work or materials on a construction project. The lien secures the amount owed and provides the claimant with a legal interest in the property until the debt is paid.
How Does a Construction Lien Work?
To place a construction lien on a property, the claimant must follow specific procedures and timelines set out in the Construction Act. These include:
- Notice of Lien: The claimant must give written notice of their intention to lien the property to the owner, contractor, and other parties as required by the Act.
- Statement of Claim for Lien: The claimant must file a Statement of Claim for Lien with the court and serve it on the owner, contractor, and other parties as required by the Act.
- Action to Enforce Lien: The claimant must start an action to enforce the lien within specified timelines.
If the lien is successful, the claimant may ultimately be able to force the sale of the property to satisfy the debt owed.
Benefits of Working with a Construction Lien Lawyer in Mississauga
Working with a construction lien lawyer in Mississauga can provide several benefits, including:
- Expertise: A construction lien lawyer has the expertise to navigate the complexities of the Construction Act and the court system. They can ensure that all requirements are met and deadlines are followed, increasing the likelihood of a successful outcome.
- Negotiation: A construction lien lawyer can negotiate on your behalf to resolve the dispute and secure payment without the need for a court action. This can save time, money, and resources.
- Protection of Rights: A construction lien lawyer can protect your rights and interests throughout the lien process, ensuring that you receive the payment you are owed.
At Falcon Law PC, our team of experienced construction lien lawyers in Mississauga can help you navigate the lien process and secure payment for your work or materials on a construction project. We understand the importance of timely payment for contractors, subcontractors, and suppliers and are committed to protecting your rights and interests. To schedule a consultation, please contact us at email@example.com or call us at 1-877-892-7778. We look forward to working with you.