How A Job Offer Can Help You Immigrate to Canada from the US

It’s not easy immigrating into Canada—even if you’re an American.

While it’s easier for US citizens to immigrate to Canada than most other countries, it still requires a lot of work. The most important aspect is your ability to prove you will be an asset to Canada.

One one of the best ways to prove how you’ll benefit Canada by immigrating is by showing how you’ll add value into the Canadian economy.

If you want to immigrate from America into Canada quickly and effectively, then one of the best options is to have a valid job offer.

The right Canadian job offer can open up several avenues to immigrate to Canada.

But, it’s not easy to figure out how it all works.

In this article, we’ll show you exactly how you can fast-track your immigration process from the US into Canada with a job offer.

Let’s dive in.

Immigrate to Canada With Permanent Residency

In order to immigrate into Canada from the US, you’ll want to first apply for permanent residency (PR).

This will allow you to live in the country for long periods of time.

The Canadian government encourages people to apply for their permanent residency if they have education, skills, abilities, and work experience that will directly benefit the Canadian economy.

And, if you have the right combination of these attributes, you’ll be favored to gain access.

Once you have a Canadian job offer, you have a few options to gain permanent residency through Canada’s Express Entry.

Express Entry Explained

In January 2015, the Canadian government launched the Express Entry program. This program allows skilled applicants to apply for Permanent Residency.

As long as you meet certain criteria, you’re eligible to apply—whether you’re inside or outside Canada as a temporary foreign worker.

The Express Entry program is score-based. Once you submit your application, you’ll be given points based on certain factors in your application such as the job you’re applying for, your qualifications, whether or not you’re currently living inside or outside Canada, and more.

The higher your score, the more likely you are to obtain Express Entry which fast-tracks your application process.

In some cases, you may need to obtain an LMIA in order to complete your application.

LMIA Explained

Once you have a job offer, it may need to be approved through an LMIA—Labour Market Impact Assessment.

An LMIA is a document that may be required for a Canadian employer looking to hire someone from outside Canada.

A successful LMIA proves that there is a need for a foreign worker to fill the role in the company. It also shows that there isn’t a worker from Canada who is able or available to do the job.

With a successful LMIA, you’ll get an additional 50 points on your Express Entry score if you’re applying as a skilled worker. If you’re applying as an executive position, you can get up to 200 additional points.

Is an LMIA Required to Gain a Work Permit?

An LMIA isn’t always required to gain a Canadian work permit.

However, depending on your unique situation, you may need to get an LMIA.

Canadian companies looking to hire qualifying foreign workers through the IMP—International Mobility Programs—do not need to submit an LMIA.

3 Ways a Canadian Job Offer Can Lead to Permanent Residency

If you’re looking to gain permanent residency in Canada, then there are three primary paths you could take:

1. Federal Skilled Worker Program (Express Entry)

The first path to gain permanent residency with a job offer is through the Federal Skilled Worker Program.

This path is only open to certain professions. However, if your occupation qualifies, this is one of the best paths to take.

If you have a job offer and an LMIA, the occupation list doesn’t actually apply to you. You’ll only need a valid job offer in an occupation in one of the National Occupational Classifications (NOC) A, B, or O.

You’ll also need to meet the other requirements of this program.

If you match all the requirements, you’ll have to apply for permanent residency through Express Entry. However, in order to do that, you’ll need an official invitation letter.

Your first Federal Skilled Worker Program Application puts you into a large pool with other eligible applicants. Once everyone is placed into the pool, your applications will be scored and you’ll be ranked.

If you’re one of the top candidates, you’ll receive an invitation to apply through Canada’s Express Entry.

2. Canadian Experience Class (Express Entry)

If you receive a job offer with an LMIA, you can apply for a Canadian work permit.

After you’ve worked in Canada for 12 consecutive months in either of the NOC A, B, or O skill level jobs (full-time), you’ll then be able to apply for permanent residency through the CEC—Canadian Experience Class—category.

Similar to the Federal Skilled Worker Program, your CEC application puts you into a pool with other applicants.

If you’re ranked at the top of the pool, you’ll receive an invitation to apply through Express Entry.

3. Provincial Nominee Programs

The third path to receiving permanent residency through a job offer is the PNP—Provincial Nominee Program.

If you don’t receive a positive LMIA through your job offer, then you should apply through the PNP system.

The Provincial Nominee Programs allow provincial (and territorial) governments to select qualifying foreign nationals to immigrate into Canada based on specific economic needs of the province or territory.

There are over 80 PNPs across Canada. Each program will evaluate job offers from different employers to determine if there is a specific need to be filled in the respective province.

The criteria to gain permanent residency through a PNP is different from federal criteria. This means you could be rejected through a federal program and have an unsuccessful LMIA, but you could still be a qualifying candidate for a PNP.

If you’re accepted into a PNP by a province or territory, you’ll be eligible to apply for permanent residency as a provincial nominee.

Are You an American Trying to Immigrate to Canada With a Job Offer?

Are you from the US?

Are you wanting to immigrate to Canada and you have a valid job offer?

If so, you’ll want to reach out to a Canadian lawyer to help you with the process.

Immigrating to Canada from the US can be complicated depending on your specific situation. Applicants through the various immigration programs are commonly rejected due to missing documents or application errors.

Because there are several immigration paths, you may not know the best one to take.

If you need help immigrating to Canada, gaining permanent residency, or for any other questions regarding immigration from the US into Canada, reach out to us at Falcon Law.

Right now, we’re offering free virtual consultations to help Americans with a job offer gain permanent residency in Canada through.

Click here to book a consultation today.

For inquiries or further assistance, please contact us using the information below.

Talk to us now at

Book a consultation fast and easy

US Citizens: How to Obtain a Study Permit in Canada If You’ve Been Accepted by a University
What to Do If You Have Been Rejected for a Tourist Visa into Canada?Next