If you want to incorporate a federal corporation in Canada, you will need to obtain a federal corporation number (FCN) from Corporations Canada, which is the federal government’s department responsible for registering and incorporating corporations. Here are the steps to follow to get an Ontario corporation number for a federal corporation:
- Determine if you need to incorporate federally Before you can get a federal corporation number, you need to ensure that you need to incorporate federally. If you plan to operate only in Ontario, you may be able to incorporate provincially instead. However, if you plan to do business across multiple provinces, a federal corporation may be the better option.
- Choose a name for your corporation Before you can apply for a federal corporation number, you need to choose a name for your corporation. Your chosen name must comply with certain regulations, such as being unique and not too similar to other registered corporate names. You can check the availability of a name using the NUANS name search system.
- Prepare and file the articles of incorporation The next step is to prepare and file the articles of incorporation with Corporations Canada. This document outlines the basic information about your corporation, such as its name, address, and business purpose. You can file the articles of incorporation online or by mail.
- Obtain a federal business number (BN) Once your articles of incorporation have been approved, you will receive a federal business number (BN) from the Canada Revenue Agency (CRA). This number is used to identify your corporation for tax purposes.
- Register for provincial taxes If you plan to operate your corporation in Ontario, you will also need to register for provincial taxes, such as the Harmonized Sales Tax (HST). You can register for these taxes online through the Ontario government’s website.
- Obtain an Ontario corporation number (OCN) Finally, you can obtain an Ontario corporation number (OCN) by registering your corporation with the Ontario Ministry of Government and Consumer Services. This registration is necessary for your corporation to conduct business in Ontario.
In conclusion, obtaining an Ontario corporation number for a federal corporation involves several steps, including choosing a name, preparing and filing the articles of incorporation, obtaining a federal business number, registering for provincial taxes, and obtaining an Ontario corporation number. At Falcon Law PC, our experienced corporate lawyers can guide you through this process and ensure that your corporation is set up properly. Contact us at 1-877-892-7778 or send an email to email@example.com to schedule a consultation.