Here are some questions you may want to ask a lawyer when starting a business:
- What legal structure should I use for my business? (e.g. sole proprietorship, partnership, corporation)
- What are the advantages and disadvantages of each legal structure?
- How do I register my business with the government?
- What permits or licenses do I need to operate my business?
- What contracts do I need to have in place with suppliers, employees, or customers?
- What are my obligations as an employer with respect to employment standards and workplace safety?
- What kind of liability insurance should I have in place to protect my business?
- How can I protect my intellectual property (e.g. trademarks, patents, copyrights)?
- What are my tax obligations as a business owner?
- What are my rights and obligations under consumer protection laws?
These questions are just a starting point, and there may be additional legal considerations specific to your business that you should discuss with a lawyer.
If you would like to speak to our business lawyers, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-877-892-7778.