Step by step guide on how to file an Articles of Amendment for change of Federal Corporation Name

If you’re a Federal Corporation looking to change your name, you’ll need to file Articles of Amendment with Corporations Canada. Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to do it.

Step 1: Confirm the name you want to change to

Before you can file Articles of Amendment, you need to choose a new name for your corporation. The new name must be unique and not already in use by another corporation in Canada. You can search the Corporations Canada website to make sure your desired name is available.

Step 2: Obtain a NUANS report

Once you’ve chosen a new name, you’ll need to obtain a NUANS report. This is a report that shows whether your proposed name is already in use by another corporation in Canada. You can order a NUANS report through a NUANS service provider. The report must be dated within 90 days of the date you file your Articles of Amendment.

Step 3: Prepare your Articles of Amendment

Next, you’ll need to prepare your Articles of Amendment. You can find a template for the Articles of Amendment on the Corporations Canada website. The Articles of Amendment should include the following information:

  • The name of the corporation
  • The corporation number
  • The new name of the corporation
  • The date the name change will take effect

You’ll also need to sign the Articles of Amendment.

Step 4: Submit your Articles of Amendment

Once you’ve prepared your Articles of Amendment, you can submit them to Corporations Canada. You can file your Articles of Amendment online or by mail. If you file online, you can pay the filing fee with a credit card. If you file by mail, you’ll need to include a cheque or money order for the filing fee.

Step 5: Wait for approval

Corporations Canada will review your Articles of Amendment and will either approve them or request additional information. If your Articles of Amendment are approved, you’ll receive a Certificate of Amendment. The name change will take effect on the date specified in the Articles of Amendment.

Step 6: Update your records

Once you receive your Certificate of Amendment, you’ll need to update your records to reflect the name change. This includes updating your bank accounts, contracts, business cards, and any other documents that list your corporation’s name.


Changing the name of your Federal Corporation can be a relatively straightforward process if you follow the steps outlined above. However, if you have any questions or concerns, it’s always a good idea to consult with a lawyer who specializes in corporate law.

At Falcon Law PC, our team of experienced lawyers can guide you through the process of filing Articles of Amendment for your Federal Corporation. Contact us today at or 1-877-892-7778 to learn more and schedule a free consultation.

For inquiries or further assistance, please contact us using the information below.

Talk to us now at

Book a consultation fast and easy